May 15, 2008

the mind -- is not the heart



[...]

It wasn't my not weighing anything
So much as my not knowing anything --
My brother had been nearer right before.
I had not taken the first step in knowledge;
I had not learned to let go with the hands,
As still I have not learned to with the heart,
And have no wish to with the heart -- nor need,
That I can see. The mind -- is not the heart.
I may yet live, as I know others live,
To wish in vain to let go with the mind-
Of cares, at night, to sleep; but nothing tells me
That I need learn to let go with the heart.



This is the end of Robert Frost's long poem, Wild Grapes, from the book New Hampshire (Published/Written in 1923). To read the entire poem I kindly ask you to refer to:
http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/robertfrost/699


Photo: one of the many hearts I kept bumping into, at Plum Village. They would appear to me in the form of a stone, a leaf, a cloud or the open space among the clouds... Later those days, I would be able to find that The Guiding Light of the Heart was the Dharma name I would be given. Photo ©zentobe

No comments: